<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 22, 2004

UTOPIA
Deface The Music
Bearsville, 1981


I picked up this record a way, way long time ago, not so long after it was first released, in the remainder bin of the record store at my local shopping mall. (How young and stupid I was back then). I didn't exactly have a lot of money for the latest new releases, but a trip to the 50 cent bin for a few LP's was always available to me. Of course, I had no idea what any of the music was on any of these records. I was stabbing in the dark, making selections based on song titles and cover art alone. (I still do this, but now I can pick out the name of a songwriter or even a publishing company on an old 45, and have a reasonable idea of what type of music is contained within the grooves, without ever hearing the record).
More often than not, I came up with crap, but I did manage to snag a few great records: The Rumor without Graham Parker (a great obscure UK pop/New Wave release), "Cross Talk" by The Pretty Things (good, but at that time I had no idea of their awesome history; the original LP's show this for the lazy effort it is), and this platter, the first Todd Rundgren release I ever purchased.
I had vague awareness of Todd's body of work as well, although as a new listener to FM rock radio, I'm sure I had heard at least his big hits. The thing that drew me to it was the (wait for it), cover art, which was a parody of Meet The Beatles. After getting home from the mall and slapping this sucker right on the turntable, I was gleefully aware that this was a Beatles rip-off/tribute in the manner of the Rutles album, which just happened to be the first music record that I, as a certified Monty Python fanatic, ever bought. This record concentrates on the early, rocking Beatles sound. Of course I later discovered that Todd had a great deal experience emulating this sound as a member of The Nazz in the late Sixties. But that doesn't make this any less worthy as a Beatles pastiche, or just good rock music with a toe-tapping beat. If you don't believe me, check out the keening "I Just Want To Touch You" and the rocking "Crystal Ball." They will take up permanent residence in your head, and you won't be able to charge rent. Also there's a take of Revolver-era experimentalism with "Everybody Else Is Wrong," an extended not-quite-psychedelic jam. So there you have it. I've seen this record in hundreds of used records bins for $1. Beatles fans should not hesitate to snag this one. It is available on CD as well, or at least it was. Rating: Full Retail

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?